Do you have a skin rash that just won’t go away?
Everybody at one point or another in their life experiences skin rash or hives. I wanted to talk about it this week as I have seen more instances of this just lately in our clinic, including myself. Rashes can be itchy, red, painful, woozy, damp, dry, big, small, and located at specific locations of the body or all over the body.
What could be the possible causes of the skin rash?
- Allergies– this seems to be the number one cause of skin issue that may take you to a doctor as it occurs very suddenly and lasts for a few hours to a few days. The offending allergens can be food, medicine, or environmental (pollen, grass, leaves, flowers, etc).
- Contact Dermatitis– Like allergies, the skin reacts to certain materials or things that touch the skin, examples may be rash around your elastic on the underwear or bra, belt, socks, etc.
- Autoimmune Skin Disorders– body reacting to it’s own immune system by attacking various organs including the skin. Examples are scleroderma, psoriasis, dermatomyositis, epidermolysis bullosa, and bullous pemphigoid. More on this category can be found in this article.
- Others Causes– shingles, eczema, bites and stings, fungal infection are some of the more common causes of the rash but there are many others (59 causes with pictures can be seen here).
Common Western Drug Treatment of skin rash;
- Benedryl, zertec, zycam, zantac – these OTC meds work to combat the production of histamine – which causes the redness, swelling and itchiness
- Corticosteroid drugs including cortisone, hydrocortisone and prednisone – when you increase the hormone your body is already producing, it can work as anti-inflammatory and reduce the itchiness and swelling of the rash, this can be administered in the form of pills, inhaler, shots, or cream for topical use.
How can Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture help with the skin rash?
- We treat the root cause – the biggest cause of skin issues has to do with your digestion. When your digestion is out of whack from eating things that do not agree with you or taking medicines that may cause harm and increase toxic load on your body, skin as biggest organ of our body takes the load as a “dumping” and “elimination” ground. With Chinese Medicine, we can help improve on the digestive function to expedite that detoxifying process.
- Calms the itchiness – as we take the “stress” off of our body with acupuncture, it can help take the itchiness away from the body quite significantly. The skin can heal better when we do not scratch it as often.
- Chinese herbs to clear wind, heat and damp – itchiness in Chinese Medicine is related to “wind” and/or “dampness”, redness is related to “heat” condition. With professionally prescribed Chinese herbal formulas tailored to your particular conditions, our clients heal quickly and completely when Western Medicine could not give them any more answer.
If you or someone you know has a skin rash which seems to not respond to the Western drug treatments, give us a call today to try Chinese Medicine.